Ordnance Factory Tiruchirapalli (OFT) was inaugurated by Late Smt. Indira Gandhi Prime Minister of India on 3rd July 1966 with a view to increasing the capacity of Small Arms Production, as an additional facility to the Rifle Factory, Ishapore and Small Arms Factory, Kanpur. Its production started with 9 mm Carbines in 1967, but by the middle of the 1970s it was able to produce 7.62 mm Rifles. OFT is now equipped with the most modern and sophisticated technology including Computerised Numerical Control (CNC) machines for manufacture of Weapons and Small Arms.
OFT is ISO 9001:2000 certified since 2003. OFT Laboratory is NABL accredited for Mechanical & Chemical disciplines.
The history and development of Indian Ordnance Factories is directly linked with the British reign in India. East India company of England for their economic interest in India and to increase their political hold considered military hardware as vital element. During 1775 British authorities accepted the establishment of Board of Ordnance in Fort William, Kolkata. This marks the official beginning of the Army Ordnance in India.
In 1787 a gun powder factory was established at Ishapore which started production from 1791 ( at which location Rifle Factory was established in 1904). In 1801 a Gun Carriage Agency at Cossipore, Kolkata (presently known as Gun & Shell Factory, Cossipore) was eatablished and production started from 18th March, 1802. This is the first Industrial establishment of Ordnance Factories which has continued its existence till date.
The growth of the Ordnance Factories leading to its present setup has been continuous but in spurts. There were 18 ordnance factories before India became independent in 1947. 21 factories