What is GATE?
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras will be conducting GATE 2019 in online mode tentatively during the first week and second week of February for 23 papers. GATE 2019 is a national level post graduate entrance examination for admission to M.E./M.Tech and Ph.D. programmes at IITs, IISc, NITs, GFTIs and other Universities in India.
GATE is an examination conducted jointly by the IISc, Bangalore and seven IITs on behalf of the National Coordination Board (NCB)-GATE.
Candidates will be able to select only one GATE paper for examination.
The score card will be valid for a period of 3 years from the date of announcement of GATE result for M.Tech admissions.
Various PSUs also offer recruitment based on the GATE performance of the candidates.
The official notification for GATE 2019 will be released tentatively in the first week of July 2018.
GATE Application Details
- The application form of GATE is available online from September 1, onwards. The last date to apply is in the October 9. The application procedure involves registration, generating GOAPS Enrollment ID and password, filling personal and academic details, uploading photograph, signature and left thumb impression along with other documents, etc. Candidates can login by entering their enrollment ID/email address, password and captcha.
- Checklist for filling up GATE Application Form:
Personal Details as per the certificates to be uploaded
Address for Communication (including PIN code)
Academic Qualifications – College and degree
GATE paper, GATE examination cities
Details of Valid Photo ID
Photograph as specified
Signature as specified
Scanned copy of Degree Certificate or Certificate from Principal/HODs in pdf format
Scanned copy of Category/PwD Certificate (if applicable) in pdf format
- Documents/ Data required (Indian Candidates)
Personal information (name, date of birth, your personal mobile number, parent’s name, parent’s mobile number, etc.)
Address for Communication (including PIN code)
Eligibility degree as applicable (scanned with size between 10-300 kb in pdf, upload only one page of any one document, only issued by the college/Institute/University- This certificate is necessary to ensure that only degree completed or final year students only appear for GATE, candidates with back log papers are also eligible)
- For Engineering Degree-Degree completed certificate/Provisional Certificate/Course completion certificate/8th Semester mark sheet/7th semester mark sheet/6th semester mark sheet/Pre-final year mark sheet in case of integrated degree/AMIE and similar- completed/Completed one section/Provisional Certificate Letter
- For Science Degree- Degree completed certificate/Provisional Certificate/Course completion certificate/4th Semester mark sheet/3rd semester mark sheet/2nd semester mark sheet/1st year mark sheet/Pre-final year mark sheet in case of integrated degree/Provisional Certificate Letter
- College address, PIN code of college
GATE paper, choice of GATE examination cities
Scanned image of your photograph (5-200 kb in jpeg/jpg)
Scanned image of your signature (5-150 kb in jpeg/jpg)
Scanned image of your thumb impression (2-150 kb in jpeg/jpg)
Scanned copy of Category/PwD Certificate (if applicable) (10-300 kb in pdf)
ID Proof: (only number of any one) Passport/PAN Card/Voter ID/Aadhaar UID/Driving License/College ID/Employee ID card
Bank details for application fees (not necessary for challan payment, for challan payment you need to print the challan form to be generated while applying)
- GATE Application Form Submission:
Candidates must use the preview option to check the details before final submission.
After pressing the “Confirm and Final Submit” button, candidates cannot edit or make any changes in the GATE Application Form.
Candidates need not to send any documents to the GATE office.
- Candidates can also check their GATE application status, where they can cross-check their application status with options like – received, under scrutiny, accepted, defect status, status after rectification, rejected with valid reasons, admit card ready for download, etc.
GATE Eligibility Criteria
To apply for GATE, candidates have to meet certain criteria with regard to the qualifying degree. Aspirants can look up the details below for the eligibility and ensure they meet the same before applying.
- Candidates may be Indian Nationals or from Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Ethiopia and United Arab Emirates (U.A.E)
- Final year students are eligible to apply and must upload the scanned image of third year (fifth/sixth semester) mark sheet
- International candidates should have completed a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Master’s degree in Science in a relevant subject or must be in the final year of the program.
|Eligible Qualifying Degree||Eligibility of the Candidates as per the academic year of passing|
|B.E./B.Tech/||4 years completed after 10+2. Final year students are eligible to apply|
|B.Arch||5 years course completed. Final year students are eligible|
|B.S||4 years course completed after 10+2. Final year students are eligible to apply|
|Masters in Mathematics/ Statistics/ Science/ M.C.A||Completed or currently in final year|
|Int. M.E/ M.Tech (Post BSc) (Four year programme)||4 years course completed. Students in the 2nd/3rd/4th year are also eligible|
|Integrated M.E./M.Tech or 5 year Dual Degree (Engineering/ Technology)||Completed. Students in the 4th/ 5th year are also eligible|
|Integrated M. Sc/Integrated 5 year B.S.-M.S.||Completed. Students in final year are eligible|
|Professional Society Examinations (equivalent to B.E/B.Tech)||Completed Section A of AMIE or equivalent of such professional courses recognized by UPSC /AICTE|
Modes of Payment
GATE Exam Pattern
Exam Format: Objective
Number of Sections: Eight
|GATE Exam Section||Number of Topics||Number of Questions||Section Score|