The Kerala Sahitya Akademi is an autonomous institution established for the promotion and development of Malayalam language and literature.
Formally inaugurated by the then Raja Pramukh late Chithira Thirunal Balarama Varma Raja of Travancore at Kanakakunu Palace, Thiruvananthapuram on 15th October, 1956, the Akademi started functioning in the Secretariat, Thiruvananthapuram and later on was shifted to a room in the Thrissur Museum Bungalow. In September, 1957 it was again shifted to the present beautiful building near the Thrissur Town Hall.
The Akademi functions under the overall control of a General Council consisting of eminent persons representing different branches of Malayalam literature, and is assisted by an Executive Board consisting of the President, Vice President, District Collector as Treasurer, Secretary of the Akademi and Secretary to Government in charge of Cultural Department or his nominee and persons elected by the General Council from among its members.
Apart from this there will be a Finance Committee, with the Treasurer as the Chairman, a nominee of the Secretary to Government in charge of the Culture Department, a nominee of the Secretary to Government in charge of Finance Department, one member of the Executive Board nominated by the Committee and one member of the General Council nominated by the Council.