About Panjab University
Panjab University is a public autonomous university located in Chandigarh, India. It was established in 1882 making it one of the oldest universities in India. Panjab University has a long tradition of pursuing excellence in teaching and research in science and technology, humanities, social sciences, performing arts and sports. The University supports excellence and innovation in academic programmes, promotes excellence in research, scholarship and teaching. The University is committed to attract and support the best students and faculty, who excel at teaching and research. For more than a century, it has served various societal needs with distinction. The glorious traditions of the University established during the period of more than 132 years of its long service to the nation since its inception in 1882 at Lahore (now in Pakistan) are a source of inspiration for the present generation of faculty members and students. By virtue of its age, experience, achievements and philosophy, the Panjab University is a University of national character and international stature and draws both faculty and students from all over the country and different parts of the globe. Its faculty includes some of the most distinguished scientists and academicians. It continues to attract celebrated scholars who interact with the faculty and students. Over the years, the reputation of the Panjab University has grown into one of innovative teaching, research and community outreach.
After the Partition in 1947, the University was constrained to function for almost a decade without a campus of its own. The administrative office was located at Solan and the teaching departments functioned from Hoshiarpur, Jalandhar, Delhi and Amritsar. In 1956, it was relocated at Chandigarh. Pierre Jeanerette designed the red sandstone University campus under the general guidance of the legendary Le Corbusier. Till the re-organisation of Punjab in 1966, the University had its regional centres at Rohtak, Shimla and Jalandhar and its affiliated colleges were located in the States of Panjab, Haryana and Himachal Pradesh and the Union Territory of Chandigarh.
With the re-organization of Punjab, the University became an Inter-State Body Corporate catering to the newly organized States of Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Punjab and the Union Territory of Chandigarh. Gradually, the colleges of Himachal and Haryana were affiliated to the Universities in the respective states and the Panjab University was left with the affiliated colleges in the Union Territory of Chandigarh and some parts of Punjab.
The annual budgeted expenditure and income of the University for the Financial Year 2013-14 amounted to Rs. 456.94 crores and Rs 276.87 crores, respectively.
The Panjab University, with its 78 teaching and research departments besides 4 chairs for the research on the main campus at Chandigarh, has 188 affiliated/constituent colleges spread over Punjab and Chandigarh besides Regional Centres at Muktsar, Ludhiana, Hoshiarpur and Kauni. In addition, there is the Vishveshawaranand Vishva Bandhu Institute of Sanskrit and Indological Studies (VVBIS&IS) at Hoshiarpur.
The Panjab University is located in Sector 14 and Sector 25 of Chandigarh in an area of almost 550 acres.
The layout of two parts of the University has been conceived to meet the academic, administrative, sports / recreational, residential and other requirements of a growing University. To make it self-contained, infrastructural facilities like its own Shopping Centre, Health Centre, Bank, Post office, Swimming Pool, Gymnasium, Sports Grounds, Botanical Gardens, well maintained parks, Open Air Theatre, Guest Houses, Faculty House, Seminar Complexes, Alumni House, Community Centre and School have been provided. Besides these facilities, the University Campus has 8 hostels for boys, 9 hostels for girls, a Working Women Hostel and two sports hostels.
The University Campus has fairly well-marked zones like teaching, administrative, sports/recreational and residential. A cluster of prominent buildings like the Gandhi Bhawan, the Fine Arts Museum, the University Library and the Student Centre form the hub of social interaction. The three-winged structure of the Gandhi Bhawan is the most artistic building, known as the pride of the University. The Fine Arts Museum, with its series of small galleries arranged around a courtyard, each gallery having a hyperbolic paraboloid roof (umbrella shaped), is not only an architectural but a structural marvel as well. The University Library, another key building, of the Sector 14 Campus is an RCC framed structure with red sandstone veneers. The Student Centre with its circular base and a ramp pulsating around its cylindrical body is another land mark building.
The seventy-eight Departments and four Chairs on the campus and the four Regional Centres are grouped under the Faculties of Arts, Science, Languages, Law, Education and Fine Arts, Business Management and Commerce, Engineering and Technology, Medical Sciences, Pharmaceutical Sciences and Dairying, Animal Husbandry and Agriculture. Most of the departments have their own specialized libraries, and the working period runs for at least 180 days in a year.
Dynamic in its approach to make this institution of higher learning a globally competitive leader, the University has achieved many national and global recognitions.