The Indian Institute of Geomagnetism (IIG) today is a leading institute of the country actively engaged in basic and applied research in Geomagnetism and allied areas of Geophysics, Atmospheric & Space Physics and Plasma Physics. It started out as a successor to the Colaba Magnetic Observatory, set up in 1826, where the first regular magnetic observatory in the country was established in 1841.
IIG became an autonomous research institute in 1971, and is now under the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India.
IIG has a number of active research groups involved in theoretical, experimental, and observational work. The Institute has a modern laboratory for design and fabrication of instruments used in Geomagnetism and allied fields. Geomagnetism is a multi-disciplinary science and thus provides research opportunities for Physicists, Geophysicists, and Earth Scientists. Geomagnetism, by its very nature, is also a global science, and often involves collaboration with scientists from other countries. The Institute supports a World Data Centre for Geomagnetism (WDC, Mumbai), which is the only International
centre for Geomagnetic data in South Asia, and caters to the needs of Space and Earth Scientists and researchers from Universities.
In 2003, the Institute has been shifted from its previous location at the site of the Colaba observatory to a larger new campus at Panvel in Navi Mumbai (New Bombay). In addition to this campus, IIG has an Equatorial Geophysical Research Laboratory (EGRL) at Tirunelveli, and is in the process of setting up the Dr. K. S. Krishnan Geophysical Research Laboratory at Allahabad. The Institute also operates ten modern magnetic observatories at various locations in India. A Magnetic Vacuum system (MACACS) is installed at the prime observatory at Alibag. Among other major observational facilities of IIG are two Partial Reflection Radars, located at the EGRL and Kolhapur.