The IASRI Institute specializes in statistical techniques for plant and animal breeding. Way back in 1930, the Imperial Council of Agricultural Research [now IASRI] had established a statistical unit to assist the State Departments of Animal Husbandry and Agriculture in planning their experiments conducted, analysis of the experimental data, interpretation of results and present advice on the formulation of the technical programmes of the Council. The unit conducted research on reliable methods for collecting yield statistics of principal food crops. In 1940, this unit was headed by Dr. P. V. Sukhatme, a Statistician who had studied in London with Jerzy Neyman, a Polish American statistician and mathematician who had spent most of his professional career at the University of California in Berkeley.
Later in 1945, ongoing research in sampling and statistics were initiated and hence, this unit was rendered as the main Statistical Branch. Through its continuous and dedicated work in the field of research and analysis, the branch gained international recognition as a centre for research and training in the field of Agricultural Statistics. Later, in 1949, the branch became the ‘Statistical Wing’ of the ‘Indian Council of Agricultural Research or ICAR’ and in 1952; it further expanded in space and technology at the recommendations of Dr. Frank Yates and Dr. D. J. Finney who were then the Food and Agricultural Organisation [FAO] experts. In 1955, the entire wing was moved to the Pusa campus and on 2nd July of 1959, the unit was renamed as the Institute of Agricultural Research Statistics or IARS.
In 1964, an MOU [Memorandum of Understanding] was signed between the IARS and the Indian Agricultural Research Institute [IARI] and thereafter courses in M. Sc. and Ph. D. degrees were offered to students in this Institute. It was one of those few Institutes to house an IBM 1620 Model - II Electronic Computer. Later, in 1970, it was conferred as a fully fledged institute under the umbrella of ICAR and on 1st January 1978, it was again renamed as the ‘Indian Agricultural Statistics Research Institute or IASRI’. This Institute installed a third generation computer Burroughs B-4700 system in 1977 in its new building and between 1991 and 1995, all its old computers were replaced by new networked PC systems.