The Rajasthan High Court is the High Court of the state of Rajasthan. It was established on 21 June 1949 under the Rajasthan High Court Ordinance, 1949.
The seat of the court is at Jodhpur. The court has a sanctioned judge strength of 50.
There were five High Courts functioning in the various units of the States - at Jodhpur, Jaipur and Bikaner, the High Courts of former Rajasthan and Matsya Union, before unification of the Rajasthan. The Rajasthan High Court Ordinance, 1949 abolished these different jurisdictions and provided for a single High Court for the entire State. The High Court of Rajasthan was founded in 1949 at Jodhpur, and was inaugurated by the Rajpramukh, Maharaja Sawai Man Singh on 29 August 1949.
The first Chief Justice was Kamala Kant Verma. A bench was formed at Jaipur on 31 January 1977 under sub-section (2) of Section 51 of the States Reorganisation Act, 1956 which was dissolved in 1958. Currently the sanctioned strength of the judges is 50 and actual strength is 30.
A cluster of Princely States with an oasis known as Ajmer-Merwara, a British India Territory, was given geographical expression as Rajputana. These Twenty and odd Rajputana States before 20th Century AD were dynastic and the Rulers also known as Princes were the fountain head of all Executive, Legislative and Judicial Authority in the States, In every state there were Jagirdars also and in some they were known as Kotri Thikanas. Except few benevolent rulers in some states the most of them represented the despots of princes and their orders. People had no hand in administration and there were no democratic institutions. People awaited day of their liberation from feudal clutches and peasants, workers and women, their emancipation. As soon as the country got freedom from British Imperialism, to make the history of these Princely States, the history of the past, the most dynamic and powerful Home Minister of India Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel started the process of integration of the States to form bigger units and this process in Rajputana started in March, 1948.
A greater Rajasthan was formed when Jaipur, Jodhpur, Bikaner and Jaisalmer also joined the United States of Rajasthan. Maharana Udaipur was made Maharaj Pramukh with Sawai Man Singh of Jaipur as Raj Pramukh. This new State of Rajasthan was inaugurated by Sardar Patel on 30/3/1949 at Jaipur but it actually came into existence on 7/4/1949. Despite this inauguration, the High Court was no formally established simultaneously and existing arrangements at these newly joined States continued. The process of integration of all states was completed only when Matsya union also merged on 15.5.1949.
Maharaja Sawai Man Singh of Jaipur at Jodhpur High Court premises on 29.8.1949. These 11 judges represented virtually most of the Princely States, except Hon’ble Chief Justice Kamala Kant Verma, who came from Allahabad. Hon’ble Mr. Justice Naval Kishore, and Hon’ble Mr. Justice Amer Singh of Jasol were from Jodhpur, Hon’ble Mr. Justice K.L. Bapna, and Hon’ble Mr. Justice Ibrahim were from Jaipur, Hon’ble Mr. Justice J.S. Ranawat and Hon’ble Mr. Justice Shardul Singh Mehta were from Udaipur, Hon’ble Mr. Justice DS Dave was from Bundi, Hon’ble Mr. Justice Tirlochan Dutt was from Bikaner, Hon’ble Mr. Justice Anand Narain Kaul was from Alwar, Hon’ble Mr. Justice K.K. Sharma was from Bharatpur, Hon’ble Mr. Justice Khem Chand Gupta was from Kota. The Principal Seat of High Court was kept at Jodhpur and the Benches at Kota, Jaipur and Udaipur.