I am posting the pattern and some of the questions(memory based as we have to return the q-paper) that were asked in the BEL exam-4th July,2010. I am from computer science field.
There were 4 sets. My set was A.
Pattern: 150 objective type questions(only 1 correct option)
2.5 hours time limit
1 mark for each, 0.25 negative marking
1. 1 English passage (level-easy) followed by 5 ques based on the content.
2. 3 vocab based ques in the form of idiom/phrases.
3. A data table followed by 10 ques(calculation intensive). Each que had two statements. The options were:
a) mark 1 if only (i) is correct
b) mark 2 if only (ii) is correct
c) mark 3 if both are correct
d) mark 4 if both are wrong
all the 10 questions required to calculate percentage increase or decrease in the values and then mark any of the option according to the result.
4. 5 questions- sequence based
5. 5 questions on a set. easy level
The above 28 qs were aptitude and English based, rest 122 were technical-both computer science and electronics based. Some of them:
1. The order of binary search algorithm?
2. The algorithm used in quick sort?
3. which is not an example of network layer?
4. non-polling systems?
5. the maximum data rate of a channel of 3000-hz bandwidth and SNR of 30 db?
6. how to declare a function of a class.
7. int i=5; is a statement in a C program. which of the following are true:
a) value of i may change during execution
b) both address and value may change during execution
c) repeated execution can change i,s address
d) none of these
8. one question to calculate determinant of a matrix
9. one ques to find rank of a matrix
10. a pointer variable can be
a) passed to a function as argument
b) changed within a function
c) can be assigned an integer value
d) returned by a function
11. the foll program fragment:
printf("%d",0a) prints 0
b) prints garbage value
c) prints non-zero value.
d) is illegal
12. 1 que on newton-raphson method definition
13. which of the following is a tautology?
a) (p \/ q) -> p
b) p \/ (q -> p)
c) p \/ (p -> q)
d) p -> (p -> q)
14. At a particular time, the value of a counting semaphore is 10. It will become 7 after
a) 3 V operations
b) 3 P operations
c) 5 V operations and 2 P operations
d) 13 P operations and 10 V operations
15. In a multi-user operating system, 20 requests are made to use a particular resource [per hour, on an average. The probability that no requests are made in 45 minutes is
a) e^-15 b) e^-5 c) 1-e^(-5) d) 1-e^(-10)
16. If a process is in ,BLOCKED, state waiting for some I/O service. after completion it will go to which state :
a) Running b) Ready c) Terminated d) Suspended
17. which is the operator with highest precedence in C?
18.what is residual error rate?
19. what are satellite transponders?
20. the time taken by a signal to reach from 10% to 90% of its maximum value is called?
a) rise time b) decay time c) propagation time d) operating speed
21. House keeping operation in computers is done by?
22. function of I/O drivers?
23. The basic limitation of an FSM is that
a) it recognizes irregular grammars sometimes
b) it fails to recognize regular grammars sometimes
c) it can,t remember large amount of information
d) all of the above
24. A PDM behaves like an FSM when the number of auxillary memory it has is
a) 0 b) 1 c) 2 d) 3
25. which is the fastest digtial logical family?
26. Intel 8085 is a _ bit microprocessor?
27. A binary tree with n non-leaf nodes has how many nodes?
a) 2 b) n c) n+1 d) 2n-1
28. Six files A,B,C,D,E,F have 200,20,50,10,100,80 no. of records. In what they should be stored to optimize access time?
c) Any Order
29. An algorithm is made up of 2 modules M1 and M2. If order of M1 is f(n) and M2 is g(n), then the order of the algo is?
a) f(n) + g(n) b) f(n)-g(n) c) max(f(n),g(n)) d) min(f(n),g(n))
30. features of COBOL
31. which of the foll are logical data structures?
a) network b) tree c) chain d) all
32. 3-4 questions on gates
33. 4-5 questions including finite automata, grammars,FSM (revise this subject well)
34. properties of a data cell
35. 2 questions on probability
36. earliest network that was made available?
37 difference between J-K and S-R Flip flop?
38. electronics part- some were core questions but many were based on the syllabi of BEEE,DCLD and CN(main). Just revise the most important topics.
2. divide and conquer
5. 30,000 bps