(UAS) University of Agricultural Sciences Bangalore
University of Agricultural Sciences Bangalore, a premier institution of agricultural education and research in the country, began as a small agricultural research farm in 1899 on 30 acres of land donated by Her Excellency Maharani Kempa Nanjammanni Vani Vilasa Sannidhiyavaru, the Regent of Mysore and appointed Dr. Lehmann, German Scientist to initiate research on soil crop response with a Laboratory in the Directorate of Agriculture.
University of Agricultural Sciences Bangalore, a premier institution of agricultural education and research in the country, began as a small agricultural research farm in 1899 on 30 acres of land donated by Her Excellency Maharani Kempa Nanjammanni Vani Vilasa Sannidhiyavaru, the Regent of Mysore and appointed Dr. Lehmann, German Scientist to initiate research on soil crop response with a Laboratory in the Directorate of Agriculture. Later under the initiative of the Dewan of Mysore Sir M. Vishweshwaraiah, the Mysore Agriculture Residential School was established in 1913 at Hebbal which offered Licentiate in Agriculture and later offered a diploma programme in agriculture during 1920. The School was upgraded to Agriculture College
in 1946 which offered four year degree programs in Agriculture. The Government of Mysore headed by Sri. S. Nijalingappa, the then Chief Minister, established the University of Agricultural Sciences on the pattern of Land Grant College system of USA and the University of Agricultural Sciences Act No. 22 was passed in Legislative Assembly in 1963. Dr. Zakir Hussain, the Vice President of India inaugurated the University on 21st August 1964.
Dr. Zakir Hussain in his inaugural address set forth the lofty objectives of the university in the following words:
“By bringing about significant improvement in every phase of rural life, by much needed change in methods of production, by influencing the whole outlook of the rural community and rural home, by giving them a new vision and new hope, this university will be able to make great contribution to national welfare”.
With these objectives on hand, the UAS came into existence on October 1, 1965 with the transfer of Colleges of Agriculture at Hebbal (Bangalore) and Dharwad, the Veterinary College at Hebbal and 35 Research stations located in different parts of the state along with 45 ICAR schemes which were with the State Department of Agriculture, Horticulture, Animal Husbandry and Fisheries, under its control the full fledged University of Agricultural Sciences Bangalore came into existence on 1st October 1965 with the entire State under its jurisdiction. Later on, a Marine Product Processing Training Centre (MPPTC) at Mangalore was also transferred to the university. The university established Fisheries College at Mangalore in 1969 to offer a degree programme in fishery sciences and the Agricultural Engineering Institute at Raichur in the same year to offer a three year diploma course in Agricultural Engineering. The Home Science College was started to impart education on rural based home science at Dharwad campus in the year 1974, besides establishing a College of Basic Sciences and Humanities and College of Post-Graduate Studies at Hebbal. In 1986, the erstwhile, UAS, Bangalore was bifurcated into two universities by establishing one more Agricultural University at Dharwad. Further, in 2004 Animal and Horticulture Sciences were bifurcated from agricultural sciences and transferred to Karnataka veterinary Animal and Fishery Sciences University, Bidar in 2004 and University of Horticulture Sciences Bagalkot in 2010 in order to provide greater importance in the emerging sectors like Animal Husbandry and Horticulture.
University of Agriculture and Horticulture Sciences, Shimoga is being established during the year 2013 to address the research and educational issues of Malnad and Coastal zones of Karnataka. Presently UAS, Bangalore has jurisdiction over ten southern Districts of Karnataka.