Osmania University is named after its founder, Nawab Osman Ali Khan, the seventh Nizam of Hyderabad who rather through a farman or Royal Charter, brought the University into existence in 1918. The establishment of Osmania University symbolizes a renaissance in the Indian educational system. Osmania University, is the seventh oldest in India, the third oldest in south India and the first to be established in the erstwhile princely state of Hyderabad. It has significantly contributed to the academic and economic development of not only the region but also of the Country. It has a vast sprawling campus set in a picturesque and idyllic surroundings. Buildings of great architectural elegance and variety enhance its beauty.
The Fourth Phase of the University can be said to have begun in 1993, when the University celebrated its Platinum Jubilee, marking the completion of 75 years of its eventful existence. The Platinum Jubilee provided yet another opportunity to the University (to Faculties and Departments) to not only rededicates them to the cause of higher education and become premier centres in the country, but to also review their priorities and programmes.
Further, the national economic policies are finding their echo in the universities. Keeping these in view, as also the national and international priorities, the University has initiated the process of reviewing its academic programmes as well as the contents of the course curricula. It has proposed to introduce several community-relevant courses as part of its development plan for the year 1996-2001 in areas of Environmental Sciences, Biotechnology, Genetic Engineering, Tourism and Hotel Management, Computer Applications, Rural Engineering and Health Technology, etc., It has decided to strengthen its infrastructural facilities, both in terms of physical development of the campus as well as the support systems. In tune with the New National Education Policy, the University took the momentous decision to grant autonomy to campus colleges, so as to enable them to be receptive to innovations in their respective fields and to community demands.
New P.G Centers were established at Districts of Mahabub Nagar and Nalgonda Districts later these were elevated to the status of New Universities along with the P.G Center at Bhiknur, Nizamabad District in the years of 2008, 2007 and 2006.
In tune with the New National Education Policy, the University took the momentous decision to grant autonomy to campus colleges, so as to enable them to be receptive to innovations in their respective fields and to community demands.
Several Departments and Colleges celebrated Jubilee events of their inception during this period and expanded their physical infrastructure with new buildings. Platinum Jubilee Block at Center for Distance Education, Examination branch Extension Block, New Girls Hostel, Extension of New Blocks in Engineering and Technology. Constituent Colleges also constructed buildings of new academic blocks and for student amenities.
Since then it is continuously involved in serving the cause of Higher Education and fulfilling the aspirations of millions of students in pursuit of academic excellence.
Notable persons conferred with Honorary Doctorate was Dr. B.R. Ambedkar (1953) the Father of Indian Constitution and Dr. Man Mohan Singh (1994) the Father of Economic Reforms in India and Prime Minister of India.