M.P. Police is an important Law enforcing agency serving 24 x 7 x 365 days to render justice, safety and security to all its citizens. MP Police takes the lead by relying heavily on community oriented policing in order to bolster confidence. It is proud of its achievements.
Madhya Pradesh, in its present form, came into existence on November 1,2000 following its bifurcation to create a new state of Chhattisgarh.Reorganization of states led to the formation of state of M. P. on 1.11.1956 comprising of the erstwhile central province of Bhopal, Madhya Bharat & Vindhya Pradesh.
On the day of its birth the state had a complement of 252 Gazetted Officers and 39785 Non Gazetted Officers and men covering 739 Police Station. Six posts of DIG were created in the new state. The post of DIG of Police SAF & DIG of Police Admin.were added later in 1958 & 1959 respectively.23 new police stations were established mainly in the dacoit infested areas as part of a larger scheme to strike a decisive blow to organize and arrested dacoit gangs. Strength of the Distt. Executive Force & the SAF were augmented, keeping in view the law and order situation with the State.
To keep pace with the needs of a fast developing state, the Indian Police Service and State Service Cadre were suitably expanded. Existing Police Regulations were revised with a view to ensure uniformity of police working throughout the state. The administration of the Police throughout the General Police District invested in the IG of Police and his assistants at the PHQ. During these years, the M.P.Police force saw 12 Inspectors-General of Police and the up gradation of IG's post to Director General of Police .The first IG of the new state was Shri B.G.Ghate, who was succeeded by Shri K. F. Rustamji in 1958.
Shri Rustamji had the distinction of leading the force for 7 years before he was chosen to create a new Central Force, the Border Security Force. It was during Shri Rustamji's time that the Police Force achieved many milestones, including starting of Forensic Science Laboratory in 1964.